400g Beef shoulder, evenly diced
1 tin Chick peas
1 Red onion (sliced)
400g tin Chopped tomatoes
8 Cherry tomatoes (halved)
1 Red pepper (cut into large dice)
1 Chicken stock cube (crumbled)
½ tsp Garlic (chopped)
2 tsp Curry powder
½ tsp Ground coriander
½ tsp Ground cumin
1 Bay leaf
25g Plain Flour
50g Flaked almonds
Small dried chilli flakes (optional)
¼ tsp Salt
1 sprig Parsley
Pre-heat the oven to 140°C
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the spices with the beef, crush in the stock cube, this will add a little seasoning.
2. Add the tinned tomato and rinse out the tomato tin with 100ml of water and add to the base mix.
3. Next add all of the ingredients except the almonds and mix well.
4. Place the ingredients in the middle of the Tagine or pot with a tight-fitting lid. Put the lid on and cook for 1¾-2 hours. This would also work in a large tray in a convection oven, I would place a sheet of parchment paper over the top and then a couple of sheets of tinfoil making sure you have a good seal.
5. Remove carefully from the oven and double check the tenderness of the meat, if it is still tough pop it back in. The actual timings will vary depending on the cut and species.
6. Top with the almonds and some chilli flakes
7. Stir and serve.